Monday, July 11, 2011

Gratitude.

I know in my last post, I mentioned how I'd be straying away from the baby-centric posts.  However, I need to make an exception because of something that is weighing so heavily on my heart today...

As I write this, someone I know (details withheld for privacy's sake) is going through one of the most difficult trials they've most likely faced to date.  After a long labor (2 days, people. Warrior Woman.) her child finally decided to come into the world.  Since its birth, it has been diagnosed with a severe infection that has caused breathing issues and multiple episodes of seizures, and it's very life is currently hanging in the balance. 

I used to believe that, as a new mother, there was nothing worse than leaving the hospital without your baby - not knowing how long before they'd join you.
That was my experience, and it was awful.  I was lucky and blessed that it only took 8 days before she joined me at home.

Now, I know that there is something worse:
Leaving the hospital without your baby - not knowing if they will ever get a chance to come home.
No mother (or father) should ever have to go through this.

I don't know about the rest of you that have lil' uns out there, but tonight...when my almost-10-months-old (holy shit!,) teething child shatters the silence of the night at 3 am with her painful cries, I won't be cursing under my breath or rolling my eyes as a I peel myself out of bed...

I'll be thanking every star in the sky that the Universe saw fit to send her my way, healthy lungs and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment